- I am in charge of my education. Yes, it is up to the teachers and administrators to provide me with some of the things I need in order to succeed, but it is purely up to me to do something with what they provide me with. If I want to get an A, it is up to me and my ambition.
- Turn your work in on time and you will pass the class.
- It is okay to not respect someone if they do not respect you.
- Never date someone who is rude to a substitute.
- Never date someone who expects the janitor to pick up their trash at their lunch table.
- Letting conflicts build up over time doesn’t work. Eventually, everything will seem to blow up in your face. Address the issue, talk it out, and don’t let it happen again.
- Don’t spend too much time studying for a foreign language test- you either know the language or you don’t.
- Listen to what other people have to say, but don’t think you have to base your choices on what they want you to decide.
- Don’t be too eager to grow up. Enjoy the present, or else you will miss everything it has to offer.
- People feed off of drama; don’t let them force you to feed off it too.
- Read a book you’ve never read before, or read a book you’ve read a million times. Don’t get caught up in having to explore everything– explore what you want to, whether it be old or new.
- Accept the fact that some people care more about their fragile ego than the impacts they leave on other people.
- Please, do not be narrow minded. Look at everything from multiple perspectives; the more perspectives you listen to, the clearer the picture becomes. Not everyone thinks or has the same background as you do, so they are entitled to have different opinions than yours.
- Don’t think that because you are a freshman you are less than anyone else in the school.
- The saying “if it won’t matter in 5 years, don’t spend more than 5 minutes on it” is completely false. You are allowed to care about something, even if it may not matter in the years to come. Let what is important to you now, be important.
I hope that my ideas inspire you to accomplish whatever you need to.
Love, Valerie x